Thursday, February 01, 2007

I'm in Traiing. Glorious, glorious training.



Take a look at the picture to the left. Was this picture taken in like 1978? What's with the tri-fold Science Fair display in the back? Or the easel with the paper and permanent marker? Wow, that's old school. That's how the people who worked during the Crusades had on-the-job training. Hard to imagine right? I'm used to sitting in stadium seating like you are at the big game. I'm used to Powerpoint presentations that look like they were directed by Michael Bay. I'm used to a table of bagels and muffins in the back with the 30 different kinds of cream cheese (do we really need a pistachio cream cheese? Really?). Things have come a long way since the Golden Days of training. You wouldn't know this, however, if you sat in on training with me this week. Actually, staring at that picture is more exciting than the class I'm in right now. Watching the grass grow would be more exciting.

But, Pax, you say, you are learning new skills, broadening your horizons. Nay, I say, NAY. I am dying a slow death, twitching and spasming like a fish on land. The training class is attempting to teach me about the functional implementation of PeopleSoft General Ledger.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......Wha?! Huh?! I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I think I dozed off telling you about it. You see what I mean?

Since the instructor is going to continue to talk, let's take a tour around the classroom.

training1.jpg


Here's a picture of my instructor teaching. He manages to drone on about General Ledger concepts as if they were old friends. "Hey, I remember when Balance Sheet and I got hammered and peed in the water supply of a small town in West Virginia! Those were the days!" That just was a fictionalized example. I had to make it more exciting so you wouldn't lose consciousness reading it. You get the idea, though. He is so dry and boring and he keeps stammering through his sentences. He peppers his lectures with uhhs, ahhs and umms. When he talks, he literally sounds like this:


mumblemumblemumbleUHHmumbleJOURNALSmumbleUMMMmumblemumbleLEDGERS
mumblemumbleAHHHmumbleSPREADSHEETS


You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. How productive can I be listening to that? Answer: Not very.


training_shoes1.jpg


 


So, here's a picture of my shoe. I got bored watching and listening to our instructor so I just stared staring at my shoe. Pretty boring, right? This was better than the class.


 


training_cables1.jpg


 


Here's a grouping of cables sitting on my desk. These cables became good friends of mine while the instructor started talking about transaction codes and how they map to journal entry lines. During that lesson, he actually used the phrase "...service my intraunit..." Look, buddy, I don't know what you like to do with your intraunit, but keep it out of the classroom. Yikes.


Also, whenever an unexpected result happened during one of the instructors "demonstrations", he says "that's interesting". Trust me, dude, it's not. In fact, it's anti-interesting. If what you just did and interesting were to ever come in contact, the entire universe would explode. Seriously. It's one of Newton's Laws. Look it up.


So, that's what I've been doing this week. Thought I'd let you feel my pain. If you have any pity left in your heart, point it my way. I'm losing consciousness quick.



Technorati Tags -

No comments: