Saturday, March 11, 2006

Heist movies rock!!


I just watched The Thomas Crown Affair this morning (Saturday) for the second time. I hadn't seen it since it was in theaters. I forgot how awesome that movie is. Got me thinking about heists, dude. How freakin' cool would it be to be a part of a heist? What part would you play? Would you be the guy who obtains all the gear? No matter how sophisiticated or experimental the equipment needs to be, that guy has not only heard of it, he can get it ASAP. Would you be the brains? No matter how complicated or completely insane a security set up is, this guy has seen it, and will know a way around it. I usually dream about being the tech guy. No matter what computer system or software setup is in play, this guy can hack it and make it do whatever he wants. Awesome. In honor of this, I want to talk about a few of my favorite heist movies.



I'll start with the one I just watched, The Thomas Crown Affair. Brosnan plays cool as a cucumber Thomas Crown and Rene Russo plays sultry Catherine Banning. Sexy and cool movie with a couple very smart art heists. Brosnan was in a movie recently called After the Sunset that could have been a sequel to Thomas Crown Affair. Replace Salma Hayek with Rene Russo and you're rollin'. Check them both out.




My next heist movie is the one I'd have to say is at the top of the list for me. It's the remake to Ocean's 11 with Clooney, Pitt and Damon. Very suave, action packed and it takes place in Vegas. Gotta love it. The sequel was just as good.








Another great heist flick is, suprisingly, The Heist with Gene Hackman and Danny Devito. It's got a lot of twists, but is pretty dark. Sam Rockwell also puts in a great performance in a very clever script.







Another one I like is called Foolproof. This movie stars Ryan Reynolds and is about a group of young kids that plan perfect robberies, but never perform them, that is, until a gangster forces them to do it. Ryan Reynolds is the man and this movie is very entertaining.







There are many others I enjoy also. Heat with Bobby DeNiro, The Saint with Val Kilmer and Mission: Impossible (the first one and not technically a heist movie but they pull one off). This is a sub-category of movie that I thoroughly enjoy and I hope you do to.

Technorati Tags -

3 comments:

Chris said...

Don't forget the scene in Vacation where Clark buys a BB gun, takes John Candy hostage and breaks into Wally World. My personal favorite heist! YE!

Paxton said...

That was pretty funny. And when they ride the coaster and Clark loses the gun is awesome.

Chris said...

Jackie and I saw "After the Sunset" with friends in DC. I liked it a lot.